|Posted on 5 January, 2014 at 6:20|
If you have or a considering starting a compost bin then there are a few things you should remember:
1. Compost needs air so the organic material can break down
2. Compost should be damp but never soggy ( if it is too soggy then throw in a copy of the local news paper to help absorb some of the moisture.)
3. Compost bins should not smell rancid....if they do something is wrong
4. Turning compost is crucial, make sure you keep turning it over on a regular basis
5. Finally when emptying a compost bin leave a little behind as a starter for the next one. The bit left behind will contain the microbes and bacteria to help break down the next lot.
Making Eden can help set up your compost bins and/or areas for you